Thursday, August 26, 2010

What's your weirdest memory ?

I have always assumed I am slightly weirder than normal people because I remember, well... weird stuff. Like the texture of a dress I owned at the age of 2, and the exact smell of the aftershave my dad used when I was about 2 or 3. And my mother's gold hoop earrings she inherited from HER mother. I remember the shelves of a cabinet and what was on them in a house I visited more than 10 years ago. But go ahead, ask me for my car keys, or if I know where I put them, or even what I ate for dinner last night.

I can clearly picture a pair of sneakers my mother bought me when I was 10, and can also recall the fact that no matter how I laced them up, the right shoe always had the laces uneven. Dad had to do it for me. I know in exactly what order my dolls had to be put in. The smell of the box when I was bought my first pair of heels. Unfortunately I can also clearly recall the taste of Epsom Salts (bleargh) and Castor Oil. I remember Mum's instructions on how to make chocolate cake and have never needed a reminder, but when I need to stick something in the pressure cooker, I am constantly checking with her how long it needs to sit.

I remember stories and songs my Nana put me to sleep with, and yet I fumble with a document I put together myself a few hours ago.

So maybe this is curiosity, but what is YOUR weirdest memory?

8 comments:

a said...

I dont know about weirdest but one of my most vivid memories is my cousin and i in our old mysore house during the summer holidays.

We'd fight for my aunts pink dupatta and practice all day for a fashion show we'd make the family watch while they sipped coffee at some 4 pm :)

Used to be such fun! Now that beautiful driveway which was our ramp is a multi-effing-storey apt building!!

Tom said...

so my weirdest memory is when i was like maybe a year old: my parents dressed me up in a U of M sweater and took pictures of me in my crib and i remember not knowing what was going on

Too much too little said...

I think I was three and this very close uncle of mine had come home to visit. Sometime in the afternoon one day, while my dad was at work, my mom needed to buy something from the store so she left a sleeping me from the store in charge of my uncle. My uncle, not very used to kids, panicked, but he figured hey, what can a sleeping kid do...my mom would be back in 10 anyway. I remember waking up screaming for my mum and when my poor uncle, completely confused and scared stared at the screaming toddler, I said, 'Where ith my mummmmmy...Gimme mummy!!!' and promptly went on to picking up a half-full dustbin and emptying it on his head!

Niamh said...

@ a - i know the feeling. my favorite place to play as a kid became one of those. sigh

@ Tom - I see the Green and White was ingrained from baby-hood :P My parent's loved to take pictures of me all dressed up. I think because the only time I sat prettily and didn't get into mischief was when the camera was on me. Not much has changed since then, I assure you.

@ TMTL - If I can't stop laughing at the mental image for the rest of the day, it will be your fault. LOL

Adarsh Varghese said...

Can't single out a weird/vivid memory. There are so many. My 'favorites:'

1. Being dressed up in a frock by my mother when I was 3.

2. Walking past a living room 'ghost' every night when I was about 4.

3. Having bed time conversations with a human face - shaped mark on my bathroom wall which was visible from my bed when I was 4 years old.

Envie said...

Weird kid memory of off the top of my head below :)

When I was about 4 or 5, my cousins used to live with me - the girl is 4 months older than me, and her brother, 2 years younger than me. He was a real prankster, and he pulled her hair or something along those lines (she had hair nearly until her knees then) and scooted, laughing the evil kid laugh. And I was sitting on the ground, a plate of rice and sambar in front of me, calmly eating through all this ruckus, when he runs past, and...

...you'll never guess...

I look down and see a footprint in my food !

The Shenaniganner said...

I think everyone remembers the smell of their dad's aftershave, it's programmed.

My memory is not weird but kinda random. As a child I always wanted to go to a boarding school like Malory Towers or St. Claire's and have midnight picnics. So one night at a sleep over, me and my cousin woke up at 1 am for our "picnic" and went to the kitchen for the food. Only problem is that we weren't allowed to touch anything so we ended up eating Bournvita in bowls and it was the best night ever.

Arch said...

Loads of things. Tincture smell, green uniform and the exact place where i got a tear, my brother's first fountain pen and the texture/feel of my first hotpack lunch dabba.. I think its stored somehere,