Friday, March 14, 2008

... and they lived happily ever after!

The white knight rides up to the castle, defeats the dragon that has killed countless others, without a scratch, might I add, and then rides off into the sunset with the princess he has rescued. What happens then?
He is a man and she is, hopefully, a woman. There is going to be trouble, there is going to be mayhem and once the kiddies arrive, general chaos. Life in the ever after part of the fairy tale is a load of crap. There is no happily ever after. Maybe I am cynical. It’s my old age I tell you. At 22 I feel ancient. Being called an old soul does not help. You are 40 years my senior and a little drunk. How do you know who I am and what I think of the world? Also, if you do know, kindly keep your opinions to yourself. I appreciate your blinding honesty. I know I have worked a little too hard these past two weeks. You telling me I look like hell does NOT help. How in the hell did you ever think it would?
I digress, as usual, now where was I?
Ah, yes, the absolute crap that hallmark sells – the “happily ever after” Bah Humbug, I say. Do you think that every single person who has subscribed to this school of thought has never realized at some point, that they wish the white knight’s, freakin, blindingly white horse would just run over the smug bastard who has probably never had a bad hair day on account of being the damned white knight.
This is probably why I am still dating the princes of darkness that seem to cross my path with unfailing regularity. Then why is it that even they seem to be chivalrous enough to be there for you when the damned white knight is off signing autographs in fairy-tale land? (Shrek seems to have influenced my mental image of what the land of fairy tales might look like.) oh well. I guess they will do. But what do I do when one day I think I might prefer the chivalrous darkness to the blinding light that could just about overpower me?

That is something I think I will figure out in my own sweet time… and not a damned moment sooner!

No comments: