Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I have a dragon wrapped around my ankle.
And I've been asked multiple questions about it.

I got it at a turning point in my life. Just like the one before that.
I got it to remind me to be me. And if anyone disagreed with me being me, to not be afraid to breathe fire.

It's there to remind me, that just like the dragon, people are misunderstood.

According to tradition and legend, the east sees a dragon as a symbol of great fortune and good tidings. The west regards the dragon as a symbol of destruction and evil.
The savage beauty of the creature in question remains unchanged.
The dragon does not bend or compromise on its essence, just because the people see it this way or that.
The dragon just is.

That is what the dragon on my ankle is there to remind me of... People will see me one way or the other.
My only job is to be me.
Be who I am, without apology or explanation.
With an occasional compromise, but never capitulation.
To swim, not sink.

To be.

1 comment:

Gigi said...

I've forgotten how much I used to love reading your blog. No more sabbaticals for you!